There are some dishes that I cook so often that I do not bother to write down the ingredients and exact recipes. The steamed tofu with ground pork is one of them. There were several requests for the recipe when I posted the photos of this dish on my instagram (instagram.com/limjenjen), so I would share the recipe here today.
This is a much-welcomed dish in my household and my two daughters would frequently request for it; they would often fight over the last piece. They love the smooth taste of the silky tofu and the freshly steamed ground pork. My husband loves it too and it is one of those Cantonese Dim Sum dishes that can be easily prepared at home.
I use the soft and silken tofu, which should easily available from Asian grocers. Though I would normally use the cylindrical tube version as they look better on a plate, the usual rectangular blocks of silken tofu will do just fine if you cannot get the tube ones. Do remember to get the freshest ground pork that you can possibly get because you will be steam cooking it and the freshness of the pork will be very apparent. In just a few minutes, you will be serving these tasty and beautiful looking tofu with ground pork on your dinner table.
Steamed Tofu with Ground Pork
- 2 cylindrical tubes of silken tofu (about 4.5 oz or 125g each)
- 8 oz (250g) ground pork
- 2 stalks of Bok Choy (or any Chinese greens for garnishing)
- 2 cloves of chopped garlic
- 2 tsb cooking oil (for frying the chopped garlic)
- 1 tsb light soy sauce
- ½ tsb Shaoxing Chinese cooking wine
- ½ tsb sesame oil
- ½ tsb corn flour
- A pinch of ground white pepper
- Slice the tube into ¾ in (2 cm) thick round discs or cubes.
- Place the sliced tofu gently on a plate. Do not arrange them too close to each other. Remove any excess liquid that may accumulate from the sliced tofu pieces.
- Prepare the ground pork with all the seasoning and mix well.
- Using a spoon, scope a spoonful of pork and gently place it on top of the sliced tofu. Repeat for all the tofu slices.
- Prepare the steamer with boiling water. Place the plate of tofu in the steamer and cook covered for 10 minutes.
- Prepare a pan of boiling water. Place the Bok Choy in the boiling water for 1 minute and remove from water immediately.
- Heat up a small frying pan with 2 tablespoon of cooking oil. Place the chopped garlic in the oil and fry until golden brown. Remove from fire immediately.
- Drizzle the fried garlic oil over the tofu and Bok Choy and serve immediately with steamed rice.