I have been feeling under the weather lately, so I have resorted to simple dishes for my family’s meals. This dish of Japanese grilled teriyaki chicken served with chilled soba noodles was put together very quickly without touching the wok or the frying pan, as it meant that I would have less cleaning up to do. Besides, I had frozen chicken thigh from the week before and there was also a pack of dried soba sticks stashed somewhere. And of course, the star ingredient of this dish is the Japanese Teriyaki sauce, which I would always have a bottle in my fridge. Nothing beats making the Teriyaki sauce yourself, but I was lazy and relied on this ready-made one instead. If you feel adventurous and would like to make the Teriyaki sauce yourself, go to my recipe here of grilled salmon with homemade Teriyaki sauce.
As I want my chicken to be juicy on the inside, I baked the chicken after wrapping them loosely in aluminum foil, and then removing the foil and grilling it to crisp up the exterior; alternatively, you can grill the chicken meat on high till it is cooked. As for the soba noodles, I use the dried soba noodles sticks as they are convenient in both storage and cooking. Chilled soba noodles are often dipped in a soy-based sauce and this can easily be found in the Asian grocer or supermarket. I added julienned cucumber, cut in the length and size of matchsticks, discarding the seeds, to give the soba noodles an extra crunch.
Japanese Grilled Teriyaki Chicken with Soba Noodles
- 12 oz (350g) Chicken thigh meat
- 4.2 oz (120g) soba noodles, cooked to instructions and chilled
- 2 tbs teriyaki sauce for meat
- 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 thumb-sized ginger, finely grated
- 1/2 cup soba noodles sauce
- 1 cucumber, julienned to about 2 inches in length, discarding the seeds
- 1 stalk of spring onion, finely cut into rings
- Seaweed condiments and chili powder (optional)
- In a large bowl, marinade the chicken thigh meat with teriyaki sauce, dark soy sauce, honey and grated ginger. Ensure that the chicken meat is thoroughly coated. Set aside for at least an hour, or chilled if prepared ahead.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Cook the soba noodles according to instructions, set aside and chill.
- Loosely wrap the chicken in aluminum foil, place the packets on a baking tray, and bake in the 200°C oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the packets from the oven and remove the wrapping foil, exposing the chicken.
- Grill on bake on high for 15 to 20 minutes depends on the thickness of chicken meat or the desired level of charring and done-ness.
- To assemble, place the soba noodles onto the serving bowl or plates, pour the soba noodles sauce over it and mix well. Take a handful of julienned cucumber and place to top of the soba noodles before topping up with the grilled teriyaki chicken.
- Sprinkle some seaweed condiments, garnish with spring onions and/or chili powder before serving.